Sunday, August 29, 2010

Wise words of the Everly Brothers, "Dream dream dream..."

Dream Dream Dream.

Sarah and I were eating toast this morning in the guesthouse and analyzing the world. Something new for the two of us. I started out asked her what she was feeling. We have to ask these questions frequently right now, being overseas and in a completely new place, it’s just healthy. So, she was unpacking this question a little something like this,

“You know, I just feel like a five year old in awe of the world around me. I can’t read the street signs, the only way I can communicate is to smile, there is a monkey in the wall next to us, and really, I’m just in awe.”

The lights flickered again, making their 2-minute rounds and holding to their routine as she was speaking. Right as she was finishing, the wall monkey started his screaming and I ran over to the wall with a water bottle, hitting the place that I thought he was sitting. I went back and sat down and we just laughed. It is so blatantly clear that we are in Thailand. None of our many talks have ever had this twist to them in the past.

Our talk continued forward into what was brewing in me. So, little background knowledge, one of the big purposes of this trip is to be silent, internationally, and listen for what God will speak over our lives in regards to how we should live them, and what we should do. I have had the plan for about eight months to go to cosmetology school next July, so I didn’t really come seeking direction, career wise anyways. WELL, yesterday, Matt was talking about the many requirements that the government holds for child homes to be considered official orphanages. One of them was to have an on staff psychologist. This seriously shocked me. SHOCKED ME. I told Matt that my Associates degree that I am getting soon will be in psychology, because we kind of get to pick what our focus is that will be written on the degree, and I LOVE psychology, and that I could be the psychologist for the orphanage.

Now if you don’t already know this, I am a dreamer, and a joker. I love psychology, so the dreaming side of me would love to be a counselor. However, the rational side of me knows that I despise being in school, and I just could not make it for another 8 years to get my Masters or Doctorates. I picked cosmetology school because it was 13 months, a good skill to have, and I could make people feel beautiful, and do some psych work in my chair.

Back to the conversation with Matt, I told him if he needed me to hop over and be their psychologist that I was their girl. He asked about the degree and such and then said that education was hard to come by in Thailand, and that an American Associates degree would probably do it.

This is insanity to me. Not that I am planning to move here full time for the rest of my life and be the orphanage psychologist, but just that it is even possible. I don’t have a whole lot more to say about that, because it is just fresh. It’s fun to dream.. and as a dreamer that follows God, it is always fun to realize that God dreams bigger than I do.

Sarah and I are going to get ready for church and go to the market with Laura tonight. We love being here and walking through the awkward and uncomfortable transition filled days. Thank you for surrounding us with your prayers, and thanks for reading.

J

2 comments:

  1. Please kiss Laura Parker on the forehead for me.

    Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelley. Just got this, and I will :) Love you Kelley

    ReplyDelete

Set 1

Set 2